I’m waiting with anxious anticipation for May 31, 2015. This will be the day that I move from my one bedroom apartment into my three bedroom rental home! And it won’t just be mine. I will be living there with my long-term boyfriend, Benjamin, our two Great Dane dogs, Charlotte and Quincy, and our Siamese-mixed cat, Cricket. I have been waiting for this day since March 20, 2015, the day that we signed our lease.
This has been something that Ben and I have hoped, dreamed, wished and wondered about for a long time. We knew that we wanted to live together first before getting married (something we both also want to do someday), but we had agreed that I would live in my own apartment by myself for a year before we would move in together. Well, not completely by myself. Quincy has been my “roommate” this whole time and we’ve had a great time together.
I am very thankful that I made the decision to live on my own this past year. I have learned so much about myself, about other people, about being an “adult” (I still have to use quotation marks around that word), about being a puppy parent to two puppies at one time (it’s ruff), and so much more. These experiences were needed for me to feel fully comfortable with myself and to be confident that when Ben and I move in together, I will be ready. And now I am ready and I couldn’t be more sure that I am making another great decision that will teach me many more life lessons.
With just over one week away from the day that we can move in, I thought it would be fun to write down the things that I am looking forward to the most in our new home:
- A fenced-in back yard. This was a requirement and the main reason we chose a house instead of another apartment. I can’t wait for when we can just open the door and Charlotte and Quincy can run out and play together outside for as long as they please.
- No more carpet. Our new home has hardwood floors and I couldn’t be happier about it. Any mess that is made will be so much easier to take care of with hardwood floors. Plus I love the way they look.
- Three bedrooms. Ben and I were looking at both two and three bedroom homes when we were rental house hunting, but we ultimately decided on three so that we will have enough room to have our own space. While the whole home will be ours and filled with both of our things, we will have plenty of space to have our own personal areas that feel like each of us individually.
- A normal-sized kitchen. My current kitchen is so small, it feels more like a walk-in closet sometimes than a kitchen. I have learned to work with it, but I am ready to have the extra counter and cabinet space. One of the first things I want to do after we move in is make a delicious homemade meal in my new kitchen.
- Our own washer and dryer. Ben is already accustomed to this luxury, but I have had to make the choice to bring all of my laundry to my Mom’s house whenever I visit her (usually once a week) or pay $1.00 for each load in the sketchy apartment basement. I am so excited for when we will be able to wash our clothes on our time, instead of having to share it with eleven other tenants and wait for it to be free.
- A garage. For the extra storage place, for a place for Ben to work on his projects and his motorcycle, and for an extra place to park a car if we need to, especially in the winter.
- More outdoor space. I am very excited about having our own yard, trees, plants, and flower bed to work with now that we have a home. I have many ideas for our outdoor space and I hope that we will be able to accomplish all of them.
- A nice, quite neighborhood. Our neighborhood is in a great area with other people who are renting from the same rental company we are, as well as other families that have lived there for years. I am excited to meet our neighbors and become more familiar with our new neighborhood.
- Close to my place of work. So close in fact, that it’s only a 20 minute walk away! I will also be getting a bike after we move in for my main mode of transportation this summer.
- Calling the same place home. I am so ready to live with my best friend and I can’t wait to be together in the same home with our fur family. It’s going to be a great year.
I will be posting all of the updates about our new home on this blog, so please stay tuned if you are interested in seeing where this journey will take us. Thank you for reading.